Hello Ya'll, from the Ozark Mountains of Arkansas | If SSIW is helping you, why not help us? Get DAILY lessons: Become an SSIW Member!

Come on in and say hello...:-)

Hello Ya'll, from the Ozark Mountains of Arkansas

Postby RickyFreeman » Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:32 pm

I've always known I had a lot of Cherokee and English blood, and some Irish. But recently my ancestry was traced back to Wales. They left Wales around 1700 and came to Pennsylvania. So I have some Welsh blood in my veins! I've always been attracted to the Celtic culture and ancient Britain. I have always been attracted to everything Welsh. Now I think is the time to learn the language.
Since I live in Arkansas, I may never get to use Welsh face to face. I will probably mostly use it for reading and listening to news online, reading Welsh literature and listening to Welsh music. I really love the way songs sound when sung in the beautiful language. I am just discovering Welsh music. I really like Ceredwen, Meiner Gwilym. I would appreciate if anyone could recommend some other good welsh music.
I do have a question. I have not yet started the course, but I am ready to go! I have looked through the forum here and know this has been asked a lot. but which way, North or South? I guess my real questions are since I don't expect to use Welsh face to face, but mostly for reading, listening to media and music, would there be an advantage in choosing one over the other? Are books published more in north or south? Are more musicians north or south? Any advice would be appreciated.
Also I know next to nothing about the Welsh tongue, except I have heard about yes and no in Welsh and those dreaded mutations, so I expect it will be difficult. Can I expect to understand most Welsh when I finish the course?
Last edited by RickyFreeman on Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
Northern course 1 lesson 11

Feel free to correct my Welsh.
RickyFreeman

Re: Hello Ya'll, from the Ozark Mountains of Arkansas

Postby Sionned » Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:59 am

Croeso cynnes, Ricky! (A warm welcome.) I'm just one state north of you in Missouri. Whereabouts in Arkansas are you? I'd love to put a marker for you on our map. You might just be surprised how many Welsh speakers you'll find out there ...

For Welsh Music there are a few good threads on here. Try looking at Weekly Welsh Music Videos in the General Chat area, or Welsh Songs on Soundcloud for some suggestions.

The choice of North or South is a really personal one - mostly because you feel some attraction to that part of Wales or something similar. The media as a whole use a wide variety of languages, just depending on what part of the country the speaker/singer/writier comes from. The difference is fairly small, and by the time you get through a course or two here, you'll be able to understand both without too much trouble. Personally, I chose North because the ancestry I traced came from there in 1683. And I like Aran & Catrin's voices. :wink:

Please don't let people put you off learning this lovely language by saying it is so hard! The SSiW way of learning the "dreaded" mutations, the pronunciation, and so forth, is really painless and suddenly you know how to say something because it just "sounds right." And yes, if you stick with the course, you will find you understand most Welsh fairly well - at least as well as people from other parts of the country understand each other! :wink:

Welcome again! :D
Please do read the forum guidelines - they're very short!
And let me know where you live, and I'll put you on the map!
Sionned
SSiW Angel

Postby RickyFreeman » Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:11 am

Hi neighbor! I was recently in Missouri for a family reunion. Thanks for the welcome. I will check out the links you provided.

I live in Lamar, which is on I-40 in between Ft. Smith and Little Rock. Feel free to put me on your map.

Yeah, thanks for the advice. I do plan to stick with the course. Something about Welsh sings to my heart.

RickyFreeman

Postby Aran » Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:50 am

A very warm welcome to the forum, Ricky...:)

RickyFreeman wrote:I am just discovering Welsh music. I really like Ceredwen, Meiner Gwilym.

If you like Meinir, she's got one of the loveliest northern accents you're ever likely to hear - I'm very keen to get her to record some lessons for us one of these days...:)
Loan $25 somewhere worthwhile with the SSiW Kiva team
Forum Guidelines | How far have you got with SSiW? Let us know HERE
Aran
SSi CEO

Postby hewrop » Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:38 am

Croeso mawr, Ricky

My son & I must have passed within a hundred miles of you a few years back on the return leg of our US road trip. We crossed Arkansas in a day starting at Texarkana (which is just inside Texas, I think) and ending at Gracelands, Memphis (just inside Tenessee) to pay homage to "the King". Happy memories :D

Anyway good luck with your Welsh. I understand it's easier than Cherokee. :smile:
Huw (from the deep mid-west of Wales)
hewrop
The Magnificent Saith

Postby RickyFreeman » Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:49 pm

Thamks Aran, I think Meinir sounds like an angel.

Thanks hewrop. Yes, I have studied Cherokee a little and it is extremely hard. I am not sure anyone who didn't grow up using it could ever really become proficient in that language.

RickyFreeman

Return to Introduce Yourself